Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Amish Country

I have been lucky enough to go quilt shop hopping in Pennsylvania Amish country. Last fall I met up with my friend in Ohio and we had a fun road trip. I showed photos from the Harrisburg quilt show on a previous post. The shopping topped that for sure! Have you ever seen such a beautiful setting for a quilt shop? It seemed like we traveled back roads to get there, but I think it was really the scenic route!

Burkholders Fabric- in the middle of a corn field! Just looking at the photos makes me want to go back.

This was part of the motivation for a trip. A truckload sale at Sauders! The prices cannot be beat! Please tell me where you can buy a Moda bolt of fabric for about $2.oo yard and I'll plan a trip!! The whole place is jammed packed and prices are unbelievable. There were a whole lot of shoppers too, but I was prepared for that, making sure I was in no hurry. Everyone was very friendly and chatty.


I have to admit I am not a drinker, but we were at a local brewery so I ordered the beer sampler. Have you ever seen such a sampler!!!??? Needless to say I didn't drive us back to the hotel. I also went out for a long walk in the morning to burn some of it off. (Weight Watcher leader you know!)


Here is the loot I brought home. I also jammed a priority mail box full of my clothes. When I arrived at the airport my checked bag was 1 pound over! I think I grabbed a pair of shoes out and added that to my super heavy carry on. If you click to enlarge you can see 3 bolts of fabric. The basket, the wooden bowl and the little crock all came home with me. Fun, fun memories!!

5 comments:

  1. I have fabric shopped in Amish country in Pennsylvania. The one fabric shop had no electric lights and it was a cloudy day. It was very hard to see what the fabric colors really were. An interesting experience. Also, no charge cards accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my favorite quilt shops to go to when we go out to Pa Shopping.
    Oh and did you go to Martins , above the grocery store?
    that was a treat too!
    I love hitting zooks truckload sale!
    enjoying your blogs a lot!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so fun! I can't imagine having the fabric 2.00/yd. That would be a fun friend trip. Good for you, getting it all home, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to go on a trip like that! I would have posted my clothes home too to make way for bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh.... I would have fallen over for $2 Moda! Oh my oh my... my heart is fluttering at the thought :o)

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!